The Pull of Commoditization: Good news & bad news
The bad news first:
Gravity is against you. The gravitational pull of commoditization is constantly working to eliminate your advantage, confuse your customers, hold your prices and profits down, and make you look, feel and sound like everybody else.
The good news?
It’s completely in your control to break free from gravity and enjoy tremendous growth, profit and lifestyle. But, it takes some work – hard work – up front.
- Ensure you have a consistent message that all team members know how to align with.
- Your website is well designed and fully aligned with your message.
- Your LinkedIn profile, and the profiles of your employees, is in line with your messaging and positioning and that you’re engaging.
- Create regular compelling content. As I had written (some might say too much) about the need to stop telling everyone what a rock star you are, and instead demonstrate it. Your content needs to be interesting, well written and provocative.
- Invest in the business acumen of your people. I don’t care what position they’re in, but especially if they’re customer facing or sales oriented – they need to be businesspeople first and foremost.
- You need to develop and implement a sales model that guides your sales actions – whether you’re the only salesperson or you’ve got a sales staff of 20 (or more).
- You must plan, prepare, act, learn, plan prepare, act, learn…and repeat the cycle.
I could go on, but this is a good start.
Yes, it’s hard. It can even feel overwhelming, but it’s not. What’s overwhelming is fighting gravity everyday, treading water and struggling for relevance.
A little more focus and energy upfront and you’ll turn the tide in your favor.